Food This Hack Will Forever Change the Way You Peel Potatoes
This Banana Has an Edible Peel
This Banana Has an Edible PeelWith what is essentially a built-in carrying case, bananas are already one of the most convenient fruits around. But what if the peel itself was edible too? The wild world that must be springing up within your imagination at the thought just got even wilder, because it just so happens to be the world in which we already live, thanks to the Mongee banana (pronounced mon-gay), created by D&T Farm of Japan.
When I saw a trick for removing potato skins by slipping them off without using the dreaded vegetable peeler, I knew I had to try it immediately to see if it worked. YouTube user Foody Tube'sclaims you can skip the peeling process before boiling the potatoes and, instead, squeeze the skin straight off the potatoes once they're fully cooked. It sounds almost too good to be true, but guess what? It works.
Here's how to do it right:
Using a sharp knife, pierce the skin only and draw a line all the way around the center of the potato. Do this quickly by twirling the potato around with one hand while keeping the knife steady in the other.
This Tyler Florence Hack Will Forever Change the Way You Make Mashed Potatoes
Food Network chef Tyler Florence shares his trick for crazy good mashed potatoes. As Tyler instructed, I added "cold, peeled, chopped potatoes, cream, butter, and olive oil" to a pan. He also told us, "I like garlic. I like sage and rosemary flavor combinations, and a little bit of thyme." To my pot of 3 pounds of potatoes, I added enough half and half to just barely cover the potatoes. Frankly, I was scared about using straight cream, which is why I deviated slightly from his instruction. I then added about 3 tablespoons of salted butter and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. I added a few cloves of peeled garlic and half a bunch each of sage, rosemary, and thyme.
Transfer the potatoes to a giant pot of cold water (cover the potatoes by at least an inch of water). Boil the potatoes until they are fork tender, then drain them. Once they're cool enough to touch, peel the potato skin from each side of the punctured line you created. And voilà - the skin will slide off effortlessly! Not only does this drastically speed up the process for making mashed potatoes, but it also makes cleanup a lot less stressful. Once you try this cooking method, you'll probably never go back. You're on your way to the quickest and bestof your life.
Related gallery: The Pioneer Woman's Most Popular Casseroles Will Inspire You to Cook
What Is "Orange Peel Skin" — & How Can You Get Rid Of It?
<p>The internet is riddled with complaints about the one and only skin concern to be named after a citrus fruit. It also gets worse as you get older.</p><p><br></p>When describing skin that is good, people generally resort to the same set of expressions: "as smooth as silk" (glass works, too), "lit from within," or "softer than a baby's bottom," which is a questionable basis of comparison but a thing we say nonetheless. So you can see why skin that's "like an orange peel " doesn't quite fit in there — and why the internet is riddled with complaints about the one and only skin concern to be named after a citrus fruit.
- The Pioneer Woman. It's easy to see why this side dish of cheesy, comforting potatoes with a potato-chip topping is Ree's most popular casserole recipe. Get the recipe:Ree Drummond's funeral potatoes" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-1-of-14-ever-heard-of-funeral-potatoes-the-popular-dish-originated-in-the-mormon-community-the_208619_.jpg?content=1" title="Ever heard of funeral potatoes? The popular dish "originated in the Mormon community. They called it... - TiffanyAure" />
- Ree Drummond's twice baked potato casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-2-of-14-the-pioneer-woman-ingeniously-turns-twice-baked-potatoes-into-a-casserole-thats-perfec_587931_.jpg?content=1" title="The Pioneer Woman ingeniously turns twice-baked potatoes into a casserole that's perfect for feeding... - Well Plated" />
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Ree Drummond's cheesy hash brown casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-3-of-14-hash-brown-casserole-is-a-classic-southern-breakfast-that-cant-be-beat-what-makes-ree-_642990_.jpg?content=1" title="Hash brown casserole is a classic Southern breakfast that can't be beat. What makes Ree Drummond's s... - Well Plated" />
Hash Brown Casserole
- Ree Drummond's green bean casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-4-of-14-youll-want-to-bookmark-this-popular-green-bean-casserole-recipe-for-thanksgiving-and-b_620437_.jpg?content=1" title="You'll want to bookmark this popular green bean casserole recipe for Thanksgiving and beyond. Instea... - Well Plated" />
Green Bean Casserole
- Ree Drummond's chicken cordon bleu casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-5-of-14-all-the-classic-elements-of-chicken-cordon-bleu-chicken-swiss-cheese-ham-and-a-creamy-_505243_.jpg?content=1" title="All the classic elements of chicken cordon bleu (chicken, swiss cheese, ham, and a creamy sauce) com... - Well Plated" />
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Ree Drummond's turkey tetrazzini" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-6-of-14-tetrazzini-is-an-american-dish-usually-made-with-spaghetti-chicken-and-a-creamy-white-_147322_.jpg?content=1" title="Tetrazzini is an American dish usually made with spaghetti, chicken, and a creamy white wine sauce. ... - Well Plated" />
- Ree Drummond's corn casserole with red bell peppers and jalapeños" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-7-of-14-a-five-ingredient-dinner-that-couldnt-be-easier-is-rees-corn-casserole-with-corn-red-b_608965_.img?content=1" title="A five-ingredient dinner that couldn't be easier is Ree's corn casserole with corn, red bell peppers... - Well Plated" />
- Ree Drummond's chicken tortilla casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-8-of-14-like-chicken-tortilla-soup-in-casserole-form-the-pioneer-womans-popular-mexican-inspir_321528_.jpg?content=1" title="Like chicken tortilla soup in casserole form, the Pioneer Woman's popular Mexican-inspired dinner ut... - Well Plated" />
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- Ree Drummond's Mexican rice casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-9-of-14-a-vegetarian-casserole-that-even-meat-eaters-will-love-is-rees-mexican-rice-casserole-_304165_.jpg?content=1" title="A vegetarian casserole that even meat-eaters will love is Ree's Mexican rice casserole, which is pac... - Well Plated" />
Mexican Rice Casserole
- Get the recipe:Ree Drummond's wild rice casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-10-of-14-theres-no-can-of-cream-of-soup-in-the-pioneer-womans-broccoli-wild-rice-casserole-whi_858404_.jpg?content=1" title="There's no can of "cream of" soup in the Pioneer Woman's broccoli wild rice casserole, which gets it... - Well Plated" />
Broccoli Wild Rice Casserole
- leek and potato casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-11-of-14-potatoes-are-a-common-theme-among-rees-most-popular-casseroles-and-this-cheesy-casser_947427_.jpg?content=1" title="Potatoes are a common theme among Ree's most popular casseroles, and this cheesy casserole with fres... - Well Plated" />
Leek and Potato Casserole
- cheesy refried bean casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-12-of-14-popular-for-obvious-reasons-hello-tequila-and-cheese-this-mexican-casserole-can-be-se_486944_.jpg?content=1" title="Popular for obvious reasons (hello, tequila and cheese), this Mexican casserole can be served as a d... - Picasa" />
Cheesy Refried Bean Casserole
- Ree Drummond's hominy casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-13-of-14-hominy-is-like-giant-corn-kernels-and-it-makes-an-excellent-base-in-this-unexpected-c_96736_.img?content=1" title="Hominy is like giant corn kernels, and it makes an excellent base in this unexpected casserole. Get ... - Well Plated" />
- Ree Drummond's cheese grits casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-14-of-14-last-but-not-least-the-pioneer-womans-cheese-grits-casserole-is-a-must-try-for-anyone_576888_.jpg?content=1" title="Last but not least, the Pioneer Woman's cheese grits casserole is a must try for anyone who's never ... - Well Plated" />
Cheese Grits Casserole
I'm sorry, but what exactly are "funeral potatoes"? .
Walmart has been advertising "funeral potatoes" via Facebook and people are fearing the ad is an omen of the arrival of Grim Reaper. Should we be scared?It’s a good question, honestly. In fact, many people are wondering the same thing. Walmart recently advertised their Augason Farms “funeral potatoes” on Facebook and, no, this isn’t a misprint on the packaging. Funeral potatoes are very real, cross our hearts and hope to die (and then have funeral potatoes served at our funeral).
Super Quick Potato Peeling! - Life Hack
How to peel potatoes really quickly. This simple trick show you a speedy way to peel your potatoes without using a peeler. Great if you've got a lot of potatoes to peel. You need to boil the...
Tyler Florence's Hack Will Forever Change the Way You Make Mashed Potatoes
Tyler Florence's Hack Will Forever Change the Way You Make Mashed Potatoes Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd-NQWUmDGH6Gq4XXWV2JcA Food Network chef Tyler Florence shared his mashed...
Tuesday, 13 march 2018
Netflix's new baking show "Nailed It!" was inspired by a popular meme in which people document their wildly unsuccessful attempts to follow Pinterest recipes. In each episode, three home bakers try their best to recreate elaborate cakes, treats, and more.The results are […]
Thursday, 29 march 2018
Imagine potato slices that are caramelized and crispy on the outside and creamy like mashed potatoes on the inside. What do I need to get started? You’ll need 2 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes; ½ stick unsalted butter, melted; 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth; 4 garlic cloves, […]
Friday, 16 march 2018
Outback Steakhouse Unleashes 3-Point Rib Bloom for March MadnessOutback Steakhouse, everyone's favorite bastion of faux-Australian comfort food and the butt of countless Crocodile Dundee jokes, is carrying on its tradition of pairing an obscene amount of fried onions with equally obscene […]
Thursday, 29 march 2018
Imagine potato slices that are caramelized and crispy on the outside and creamy like mashed potatoes on the inside. What do I need to get started? You’ll need 2 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes; ½ stick unsalted butter, melted; 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth; 4 […]
Tuesday, 10 april 2018
Salty Waitress is The Takeout’s advice column from a real-life waitress that will teach you how not to behave like a garbage person while dining out—and maybe in real life. Dear Ms. Salty,One of my friends happens to be a wealthy executive of a multi-national corporation. The guy is […]
Wednesday, 28 march 2018
How to Dye Eggs Naturally Without Food Coloring: Shaving Cream & […]
Friday, 30 march 2018
<p>There are a few strategies you can execute to make sure your salty hunk of meat is succulent and tender. Swap out the packet of cloying glaze for something homemade, and you have a veritable masterpiece of pork.</p>Besides mini chocolate eggs, pre-cooked spiral cut hams—also […]
Thursday, 22 february 2018
Olive Garden Adds Meatball Pizza Bowl to Lunch Duos […]