Crime Dad Arrested 38 Years After He Said Son Died From SIDS

21:40  11 april  2017
21:40  11 april  2017 Source:   Inside Edition

Dad charged 38 years after baby son's death with killing him

  Dad charged 38 years after baby son's death with killing him FARMINGTON, Maine — The father of a 4-month-old boy whose death was classified nearly 38 years ago as sudden infant death syndrome was arrested Friday after detectives concluded it was homicide.Burton "Ben" Hagar, 62, of Farmington, was charged with murder after being indicted this week, said Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.Hagar is accused of killing his son, Nathan, who was found unresponsive in the family's Brunswick apartment and died at a hospital on May 9, 1979.

Father Arrested 38 Years After Baby Son 's Death . A Maine man who told detectives that his baby son had died from SIDS in 1979 has been arrested in the baby's death .

Police arrested Hagar on Friday nearly 38 years after his infant son 's death, which was originally characterized as sudden infant death syndrome . The body was not exhumed, and authorities aren't saying how they believe the infant died . Hagar will make his first court appearance next week in

Dad Arrested 38 Years After He Said Son Died From SIDS: Burton Hagar's son was found unresponsive on May 9, 1979. © Provided by CBS Interactive Inc. Burton Hagar's son was found unresponsive on May 9, 1979. A Maine man who told detectives that his baby son had died from SIDS in 1979 has been arrested in the baby's death.

Burton Hagar's son was found unresponsive in early May of that year, after which the case remained closed until it was reopened in 1991.

Watch: Man Accused of Holding Woman in Storage Container Confesses to Murders from 2003

More than a quarter century after that, the 62-year-old was arrested Friday and charged with killing 4-month-old Nathan Hagar.

Nathan's death was Maine's oldest cold case. The father's arrest is now the oldest unsolved homicide case where state police have brought charges.

Dad charged 38 years after infant's death pleads not guilty

  Dad charged 38 years after infant's death pleads not guilty <p>A father who pleaded not guilty Wednesday to killing his infant son has no criminal history and is upset by the allegations raised nearly 38 years after his son's death, his defense lawyer said.</p>Burton "Ben" Hagar, 62, of Farmington, stood quietly with his hands behind him during his arraignment for what's described as the oldest cold case homicide to lead to charges in Maine.

Police arrested Hagar on Friday nearly 38 years after his infant son 's death , which more. The body was not exhumed, and authorities aren't saying how they believe the infant died . Hagar will make his first court appearance next week in Portland.

Police arrested Hagar on Friday nearly 38 years after his infant son 's death, which was originally characterized as sudden infant death syndrome . The body was not exhumed, and authorities aren't saying how they believe the infant died .

The oldest up until now was the arrest of a man in 2012 for an Augusta homicide that took place in 1976, 36 years earlier.

Steve McCausland, spokesman for the Department of Public Safety, said in a statement Friday that detectives gathered new information in the last year about the death and coordinated the investigation with their new Unsolved Homicide Unit.

That investigation led the Attorney General’s Office to present the case to the grand jury last week. 

The chief of the state police praised the unti for helping to bring charges in its very first case.  

Watch: 911 Call Reveals Strange Twist About Jogger Mom Who Was Allegedly Kidnapped

"There are more than 100 Maine unsolved homicides and the new unit is reviewing each case," Colonel Robert Williams said. "The hard work of this dedicated group from state police and the attorney general’s office have brought this first unsolved homicide to this point, and there will be other success stories as their work continues." 

Hagar is being held at the Franklin County Jail. His first appearance in Cumberland County Court is scheduled for Wednesday.

Watch: Baby's Death Ruled a Homicide Having Starved to Death After Parents Overdosed

Police say teens trying to steal belt led to deadly shooting .
One of two teenagers arrested after the shooting death of a high school student in an Oregon park told a detective they had wanted to steal the victim's belt, according to court documents.The 17-year-old boy charged with first-degree robbery told the Portland detective that stealing the belt was the objective when he and others approached Shawn Scott Jr. in broad daylight last week, a probable cause affidavit filed by a prosecutor says.The park is near a busy light-rail stop and a shopping mall. Detective Erik Kammerer said surveillance video from a business showed a gun being pointed at the belt before the April 11 shooting.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!