Offbeat Prep school 'destroyed' girl's life over sex assault, suit says

12:36  14 may  2018
12:36  14 may  2018 Source:   nbcnews.com

Hawaii volcanic eruption destroys home of single mother of 2

  Hawaii volcanic eruption destroys home of single mother of 2 A single mother of two says she is devastated that her Big Island home was burned to the ground by a lava flow, but a GoFundMe page set up for her may help her rebuild. Amber Makuakane confirmed Sunday that her property in Leilani Estates is one of at least 21 that officials say was destroyed by Kilauea volcano.“Her home was one of the first five homes completely consumed by the lava,” the GoFundMe page for her says. “Amber was born, raised and graduated from Pahoa. Her parents also reside in Leilani Estates and had to evacuate.

Prout says she hopes the settlement motivates the school to create a culture where student well-being comes first. FILE - In this Tuesday Aug. Labrie was convicted of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old freshman girl as part of a game of sexual conquest. The prep school announced Friday, Jan.

The lawsuit says school officials failed to report, investigate or address the girl ’ s specific reports of sexual assault to state or local authorities. The prep academy has denied that it could have prevented the assault and that it had a culture of sexual assault , but it said the case has led to

Image: St. Paul's School in ConcordThe entrance to St. Paul's School in Concord, New Hampshire. © Provided by NBCU News Group, a division of NBCUniversal Media LLC Image: St. Paul's School in ConcordThe entrance to St. Paul's School in Concord, New Hampshire.

A former student at the elite St. Paul's boarding school in New Hampshire claims in a federal lawsuit that administrators and others "destroyed" her life after she was repeatedly sexually assaulted and harassed.

St. Paul's in Concord, whose prestigious alumni list includes former Secretary of State John Kerry and Russia special counsel Robert Mueller, was put under a microscope three years ago after a one-time senior, Owen Labrie, was charged with raping a freshman in 2014.

Cops: Girl, 12, believed kidnapped after "credible threat"

  Cops: Girl, 12, believed kidnapped after Police say the girl's family was contacted by possible kidnappers and she was heard in the background, frightenedHOUSTON -- Police say the family of a missing Houston girl received a "credible threat" to her life and she is believed to have been kidnapped. The Houston Police Department issued an Amber Alert for Jennifer Castillo, who was last seen at 7 p.m. Tuesday on Harbor Town Drive in southwest Houston.

Jersey City Argues Over a Statue, and Politicians… Home FOX News Ex-student files sexual -abuse lawsuit against prep school . The lawsuit says school officials failed to report, investigate or address the girl ’ s specific reports of sexual assault to state or local authorities.

Parents of a girl who claims she was raped at elite New Hampshire prep school in a sexual conquest game known as 'Senior Salute' sue the school saying Labrie was convicted of sex assault charges last year but cleared of rape. Girl ' s parents accuse the school in failing to protect children in their care.

Labrie was acquitted of the most serious charges in 2016, but he was convicted of misdemeanor sexual assault and other counts.

The student in the new case, which was filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Concord, was identified only as "Jane Doe." She was recruited as a middle school student, court documents say, and she enrolled in September 2012 at 13 on a partial scholarship.

After she was assaulted and harassed several times by a classmate identified as "M.L." that fall and winter, the student reported what happened to an administrator, who did nothing, the suit alleges.

A woman described in the suit as a counselor accused the student of "making up a story about being raped," according to the documents, and worked with another administrator to identify her "as having a problem 'stealing' her wealthy classmate's clothing."

Northern California deputies destroy opium poppy field

  Northern California deputies destroy opium poppy field Authorities in Northern California say deputies destroyed a sprawling opium poppy field that could have produced at least a pound and a half of heroin. (Monterey County Sheriff's Office via AP) MOSS LANDING, Calif. — Authorities in Northern California say deputies destroyed a sprawling opium poppy field that could have produced at least four pounds of heroin per year.The Monterey County Sheriff's Office says deputies over the weekend destroyed 27,000 plants growing on a private plot next to a road and another 16,500 plants that had been harvested. Those plants could have produced a pound and a half of heroin.

The lawsuit says school officials failed to report, investigate or address the girl ' s specific reports of sexual assault to state or local authorities. The prep academy has denied that it could have prevented the assault and that it had a culture of sexual assault , but it said the case has led to

The lawsuit says school officials failed to report, investigate or address the girl ' s specific reports of sexual assault to state or local authorities. The prep academy has denied that it could have prevented the assault and that it had a culture of sexual assault , but it said the case has led to

"Overwhelmed by trauma and [St. Paul's] failure to do anything about it," the student began to "engage in increasingly risky behavior," the suit says.

Administrators forced her out in 2014, the documents say. She graduated from high school after "extensive" psychiatric treatment on a "home and hospital" program, the suit says, but she has been unable to enroll in college.

In a letter Friday, the president of the school's board of trustees, Archibald Cox, said the board was just learning about the "serious" allegations, which included failing to report the assaults.

"We take these allegations very seriously, but do not know whether they are accurate or not," he said. "In my experience this administration has taken all reporting obligations seriously and has fulfilled them."

Michael Hirschfeld, St. Paul's rector and one of the administrators who the suit alleges forced the student to leave the school, said in a statement that he "vehemently refutes" not reporting an alleged sexual assault.

The statement did not address other allegations in the suit.

The suit, which seeks at least $450,000 in damages, alleges that St. Paul's intentionally inflicted emotional distress, was negligent and violated Title IX, the federal law that prohibits schools that receive government funding from engaging in sexual discrimination.

Federal Prosecutors Open Sex Crimes Investigation Against Harvey Weinstein .
Prosecutors in Manhattan launched a probe into allegations of sexual assault against the disgraced Hollywood mogul, which could result in federal charges.Harvey Weinstein is being investigated by federal prosecutors in Manhattan, the Wall Street Journal has reported.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!