The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later

Offbeat Haiti bans Oxfam GB over sexual misconduct scandal

13:11  14 june  2018
13:11  14 june  2018 Source:   cnn.com

Nev Schulman Sexual Misconduct Accuser Files Police Reports

  Nev Schulman Sexual Misconduct Accuser Files Police Reports The woman who accused Nev Schulman of sexual misconduct filed two police reports against the Catfish host with the Houston Police Department on May 25, The Blast reports. Hollywood’s Sexual Misconduct Scandals “I have provided them with my statement and detailed accounts of what I went through,” Ayissha Morgan told the website on Tuesday, June 5. “I ask that you please respect my privacy moving forward and allow those who are handling the investigation do so without interference.” Morgan, who appeared on the MTV docuseries in 2015, first accused Schulman, 33, of sexual misconduct in a video posted on YouTube on May 12. She claimed that he repeatedly asked to take her on a date, asked whether she was bisexual and propositioned her for sex in her hotel room, among other allegations. Stars at Court “I fell into the worst possible depression after this happened,” she said in the video. “I find myself every so often slipping back into it, and I realize that I’m never going to get my closure or be able to move on unless I put what happened out there.” MTV confirmed to Us Weekly in a statement on May 17 that it was working with a third-party production company “to conduct a thorough investigation.” The network said it had also “put a pause on shooting” Catfish, on which Schulman serves as both a host and executive producer. Celebrity Mugshots Schulman denied Morgan’s claims in a statement to Us. “The behavior described in this video did not happen and I’m fortunate that there are a number of former colleagues who were present during this time period who are willing to speak up with the truth,” he said on May 17. “I have always been transparent about my life and would always take responsibility for my actions — but these claims are false.

Haiti suspends Oxfam operations over sexual misconduct scandal . By Steve Almasy, CNN. Updated 2357 GMT (0757 HKT) February 22, 2018. MUST WATCH. Oxfam deputy chief resigns over sex scandal 00:53.

Oxfam chief to step down over Haiti sex scandal . Haiti minister says he may revoke Oxfam 's right to operate in country. Nobel Prize in Literature postponed after sexual misconduct scandal . Haiti Earthquake Fast Facts. Donald Trump's enmity for Haiti .

Haiti's government officially banned Oxfam Great Britain from operating in its country on Wednesday, following the sex scandal that rocked the British charity earlier this year.

Oxfam's right to operate in Haiti had already been revoked in February following allegations that staff members, including the country director, hired prostitutes at Oxfam properties while working in Haiti after the devastating 2010 earthquake.

U.S. opens inquiry into gynecologist scandal at University of Southern California

  U.S. opens inquiry into gynecologist scandal at University of Southern California <p>The U.S. Education Department has opened an investigation into how the University of Southern California handled complaints that a longtime campus health clinic gynecologist sexually harassed or abused his patients during pelvic examinations.</p>The agency's Office for Civil Rights will examine USC's response to reports of such misconduct by Dr. George Tyndall that date back to 1990 but were not fully investigated by the university until the spring of 2016, the department said in a statement.

Haiti has suspended the international poverty charity Oxfam Great Britain from operating in the country after reports of sexual misconduct by some of its employees. Internal report made public. On Monday, the charity issued an apology to the Haitian government for a 2011 prostitution scandal .

Haiti has suspended the operations of Oxfam Great Britain, as it investigates claims of sexual misconduct by staff following the 2010 earthquake. Oxfam deputy chief steps down over Haiti prostitution scandal . Editor's choice. Italy.

Oxfam responded to the decision in a statement on Wednesday, apologizing again to the Haitian government and its people.

"Oxfam is disappointed but understands the Haiti Government's decision to withdraw Oxfam Great Britain's permission to work in Haiti," the statement read. "The behavior of some former Oxfam staff working in Haiti following the 2010 earthquake was completely unacceptable."

The statement also noted that since stronger measures have since been implemented to prevent abuse, including a hotline and safeguarding team.

The allegations first emerged in 2011, prompting an internal investigation, but Oxfam didn't make the report public until this February. According to the report, four staff members were dismissed for "gross misconduct" and three others resigned after the investigation, including Haiti country director Roland van Hauwermeiren.

Michigan OKs Nassar-related laws to give victims time to sue

  Michigan OKs Nassar-related laws to give victims time to sue Michigan Lt. Gov. Brian Calley has signed two bills inspired by the Larry Nassar scandal, including one giving childhood sexual abuse victims more time to sue. The current cutoff to file a lawsuit is generally a minor victim's 19th birthday, which critics say is out of step with other states and does not account for how victims are afraid to report abuse or have suppressed it. Starting in three months, people who were sexually abused as children will be able to sue until their 28th birthdays or three years from when they realize they have been abused.

The operating ban on Oxfam GB comes just a fortnight after details of an internal investigation into alleged sexual misconduct by seven members of staff were exposed. Oxfam GB boss Mark Goldring grilled on sexual abuse scandal which has engulfed charity over its work in Haiti .

 Haiti suspends Oxfam operations over sexual misconduct scandal . By Steve Almasy, CNN. Updated 2357 GMT (0757 HKT) February 22, 2018.

The report also described three staff members who "physically threatened and intimidated" a witness during the investigation, leading to accusations that Oxfam had deliberately covered up the scandal.

The report didn't address claims that van Hauwermeiren and his team had been previously reported for alleged sexual misconduct while working in the African nation of Chad, but no action was taken at the time.

Global outrage ensued. 7,000 people canceled their regular donations in just 10 days, Oxfam chief executive Mark Goldring told British lawmakers in February.

Several ambassadors and donors pulled their support. Oxfam's deputy chief stepped down, and in May, Goldring followed suit.

"This is about abuse of power," Winnie Byanyima, the executive director of Oxfam International, told Parliament in February. "Whether they have given them some money from an Oxfam program or from their pocket as their salary, it's still abhorrent, and we are ashamed and upset about it, and we're going to root it out of our organization."

The staff members were deployed to Haiti in response to the devastating earthquake in 2010, which killed between 200,000 and 300,000 people.

Missouri special prosecutor won't bring charges against Greitens .
Greitens was forced to resign as governor over allegations of blackmail, sexual misconduct and invasion of privacy. Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker, who was named in May as a special prosecutor in the case, announced Friday that she would not refile a felony invasion-of-privacy charge against Greitens, Reuters reports.The former governor was accused of taking a photo of a woman with whom he was having an extramarital affair without her consent, and threatening to release it publicly if she disclosed the relationship.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!