Politics White House reels as FBI director contradicts official claims about alleged abuser

03:20  14 february  2018
03:20  14 february  2018 Source:   MSN

White House says background check for Rob Porter was never completed

  White House says background check for Rob Porter was never completed "His background investigation was ongoing," Raj Shah said. "His (security) clearance was never denied, and he resigned.""His background investigation was ongoing," White House spokesman Raj Shah said of Porter, the former White House staff secretary. "His (security) clearance was never denied, and he resigned.

The White House struggled Tuesday to contain a widening crisis over its handling of domestic violence allegations against a senior official , as it reeled from sworn testimony by the FBI chief that directly contradicted what President Trump’s aides had presented as the official version of events.

“The White House struggled Tuesday to contain a widening crisis over its handling of domestic violence allegations against a senior official , as it reeled from sworn testimony by the FBI chief that directly contradicted what President Trump’s aides had presented as the official version of events

The White House struggled Tuesday to contain a widening crisis over its handling of domestic violence allegations against a senior official, as it reeled from sworn testimony by the FBI chief that directly contradicted what President Trump’s aides had presented as the official version of events.

Porter ex-wife: 'If he hasn’t already been abusive with Hope, he will'

  Porter ex-wife: 'If he hasn’t already been abusive with Hope, he will' <p>One of the ex-wives of former White House staff secretary Rob Porter said that if he hasn't been abusive during his relationship with communications director Hope Hicks, he soon would be.</p>Jennie Willoughby, who was married to Porter for four years until 2013, told CNN's Anderson Cooper that she was worried for Hicks.

The director of the FBI cast new doubt on the White House 's version of when officials learned of a key White House officials have said they handled Porter's case in accordance with longstanding procedures. Wray also appeared to challenge another Trump claim during his testimony.

FBI Director Chris Wray upended the White House ’s timeline about when it learned of domestic Related Story Conway on Ex- White House Staffer’s Alleged Domestic Abuse : ‘I Have No Reason Wray’s timeline contradicts the White House ’s accounting of when it learned of the allegations

FBI Director Christopher A. Wray told the Senate Intelligence Committee that the bureau had completed a background report on then-staff secretary Rob Porter last July and closed out the case entirely last month. Wray’s account is at odds with White House claims that the investigation required for Porter’s security clearance was “ongoing” until he left his job last week, after his two ex-wives publicly alleged physical and emotional abuse.

Subscribe to the Post Most newsletter: Today’s most popular stories on The Washington Post

The latest bout of turbulence is exacerbated by the administration’s reputation, earned over 13 chaotic months, for flouting institutional norms and misrepresenting facts to the public — a culture set by the president himself.

Kelly offers account of Porter exit that some White House aides consider untrue

  Kelly offers account of Porter exit that some White House aides consider untrue Some staffers who attended a Friday meeting left feeling that Chief of Staff John Kelly had effectively asked them to lie on his behalf.During a staff meeting, Kelly told those in attendance to say that he took action to remove Porter within 40 minutes of learning that abuse allegations from two ex-wives were credible, according to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because discussions in such meetings are supposed to be confidential.

Wray's timeline contradicts the White House 's accounting of when it learned of the allegations against Porter and the status of the FBI 's White House legislative affairs director Marc Short on Sunday also claimed on NBC's "Meet the Press" that the FBI "have not completed that investigation ."

The FBI director 's comments stand in stark contrast to how the White House has portrayed the status of the background check and when senior officials knew about the allegations of abuse against Rob Porter.

The public relations fallout is further compounded by Trump’s own history of alleged sexual assault and his seeming reluctance to publicly condemn violence against women and give voice to the national #MeToo reckoning.

Trump has said little publicly about the Porter issue other than to praise the former aide for doing “a very good job.” But he has privately expressed frustration with the week-long fallout, peppering aides and confidants with questions about the media coverage and how the controversy is playing for him personally.

The Porter drama has become all-consuming, creating an atmosphere of chaos and infighting reminiscent of the “Games of Thrones” stage early in Trump’s presidency — and distracting from the administration’s budget and infrastructure agenda.

Inside the West Wing, a growing number of aides blamed Trump’s second White House chief of staff, John F. Kelly, for the bungled handling of allegations against Porter, who left his job last week. Trump in recent days has begun musing about possible replacements, according to people with knowledge of the conversations.

Trump laments that 'mere allegation' can destroy lives

  Trump laments that 'mere allegation' can destroy lives President Donald Trump on Saturday seemed to frame the downfall of a pivotal aide accused of abusing his wives as a character assassination and lamented that "a mere allegation" can ruin someone's life.Trump's Twitter venting appeared to take aim at the rising #MeToo movement about sexual abuse while also feeding the frenzy at the White House, where the resignations of two men accused of domestic violence have splintered the staff and perhaps imperiled John Kelly's job as chief of staff."Peoples lives are being shattered and destroyed by a mere allegation," Trump wrote. "Some are true and some are false.

FBI director contradicts White House 's Porter timeline. Edit Democratic Underground 13 Feb 2018. Although Trump White House officials have tried to claim that they were not aware of the full extent of allegations against former staff secretary Rob Porter, FBI Director Christopher Wray on

FBI director Chris Wray contradicted the White House on Tuesday about when the bureau had completed a background investigation of former Donald Trump aide Rob Porter, who resigned last week following Trump chief of staff 'shocked' as aide resigns over domestic abuse claims .

Asked by a reporter to assess Kelly’s standing with Trump after a week of troubling revelations, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said that “the president has confidence in his chief of staff.”

But Kelly does not enjoy the confidence of an increasing number of his subordinates, some of whom said they believe the retired four-star Marine Corps general has misled them.

Kelly is “a big fat liar,” said one White House official, who demanded anonymity to share a candid opinion. “To put it in terms the general would understand, his handling of the Porter scandal amounts to dereliction of duty.”

This portrait of the West Wing in turmoil is based on interviews with more than a dozen top White House officials and outside advisers and confidants, most of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity because they feared retribution.

Kelly’s attempts at explaining his role, according to some aides, have included telling senior staff last Friday to communicate a version of events many believed to be false as well as telling at least one confidant that he has “a good bull---- detector” and had long detected troubling characteristics in Porter.

What the White House Knew About Rob Porter

  What the White House Knew About Rob Porter Maybe he was a great staff secretary. You can’t separate that from the allegations against him.The White House knew about problems with the staff secretary Rob Porter’s security clearance nearly a year before he was forced to resign, F.B.I. director Christopher Wray said this week. We know now that the hold up on his clearance was tied to allegations of domestic abuse — and the Trump White House seems to have known that by last November, too.

Wray's timeline contradicts the White House 's accounting of when it learned of the allegations against Porter and the status of the FBI 's White House legislative affairs director Marc Short on Sunday also claimed on NBC's "Meet the Press" that the FBI "have not completed that investigation ."

FBI director Christopher Wray has contradicted the White House account on clearances for Rob Porter. One official said White House Chief of Staff John Kelly had wondered last (northern) autumn why Porter's clearance was taking so long - along with those of other top officials , including the

But Kelly initially defended Porter last week as “a man of true integrity and honor.” And in recent weeks, Kelly was even considering giving Porter an expanded role in policy development, a potential promotion first reported by CNN.

“Credibility is the coin of the realm for any White House chief of staff, and it’s especially important in a White House where truth was the first casualty and credibility has been the second,” said Chris Whipple, who wrote a book about chiefs of staff.

The internal animus is not limited to Kelly. Both White House counsel Donald McGahn and deputy chief of staff Joe Hagin are also facing scrutiny over how Porter managed to work at the White House — and hold an interim security clearance — for more than a year despite the allegations of abuse during his two marriages.

On Tuesday, Wray contradicted the White House’s account of when the bureau informed officials about the status of Porter’s security-clearance investigation.

White House officials had said that they were first contacted in the summer by the FBI about Porter’s clearance, and that the investigation as of last week was still “ongoing” and had not been completed.

But Wray, testifying before the Senate Intelligence Committee, said the FBI submitted a partial report on his clearance last March and that the investigation was completed last July. Soon after, he added, the FBI received a request for a follow-up, which the bureau completed and provided last November.

Opinions | A groundswell for sanity

  Opinions | A groundswell for sanity Fatigue over constant smarmy news transcends political identity.The split in American politics we may be missing is not left vs. right or pro-Trump vs. anti-Trump but normality vs. the Trump-inspired Washington circus.

FBI director Christopher Wray has contradicted the White House account on clearances for Rob Porter. One official said White House Chief of Staff John Kelly had wondered last (northern) autumn why Porter's clearance was taking so long - along with those of other top officials , including the

Wray’s timeline contradicts the White House ’s accounting of when it learned of the allegations against Porter and the status of the FBI ’s White House legislative affairs director Marc Short on Sunday also claimed on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that the FBI “have not completed that investigation .”

The FBI closed the file in January, and when it received additional information earlier this month, “we passed it on as well,” Wray said.

At the White House, Sanders sought to square the conflicting timelines, arguing that even after the FBI closed its investigation, the presidential personnel office was still reviewing Porter’s case when he resigned last week.

“Clearly things happened after the FBI delivered this information to the White House that resulted in Porter’s case just pending for an extended period of time in the personnel office,” said Ron Klain, a senior White House aide in the last two Democratic administrations. “It was a deliberate decision to let him stay at the White House with this hanging over his head.”

The fallout has left Kelly with diminished internal support, and spawned intensified threats from those who hope to use the controversy to force him from his job.

Several Kelly antagonists have sought to fan speculation that his position may be in imminent danger, noting that Trump has been seeking counsel from friends about who he might bring on as a new chief of staff. Trump has floated replacing Kelly with either Gary Cohn, the director of the National Economic Council, or House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) — though Trump has often sounded out friends about personnel changes that he ultimately does not make.

Nonetheless, one foe described Kelly as “well done,” while another said he was in “big league” trouble.

Anthony Scaramucci, who served as White House communications director for 10 days last summer until Kelly fired him, tweeted, “Kelly must resign.” He continued: “Domestic abuse is a red line. Covering up for it is indefensible.”

White House portrayal of security office conflicts with its role in past administrations

  White House portrayal of security office conflicts with its role in past administrations Current and former officials say painting the office as a sole arbiter of security-clearance decisions, such as those involving Rob Porter, is misleading.The Trump administration has said staff secretary Rob Porter’s security-clearance investigation remained open because the White House Personnel Security Office, which approves clearances, had not finished its work. Administration officials also have suggested that results of that investigation were closely held within the office, a practice disputed by people who worked on both sides of such investigations in past administrations.

FBI Director Christopher Wray on Tuesday contradicted White House reports about the timeline concerning former Trump aide Rob Porter’s background Reuters on Tuesday reported that one White House official said that President Donald Trump’s chief of staff, John Kelly, over the fall months

FBI Director Christopher Wray on Tuesday contradicted the White House version of events surrounding the background check for a former top aide White House officials had no immediate explanation. “I‘m quite confident that in this particular instance, the FBI followed established protocols

Some White House officials, who until recently spoke of Kelly with reverence, have found ways to distance themselves from their boss, including by refusing to personally vouch for his credibility.

For the past two days, Sanders has acknowledged that the White House could have handled the Porter situation better, as sentiment first offered last week by her deputy, Raj Shah, and echoed by Vice President Pence. But Kelly, in comments to the Wall Street Journal Monday, said, “It was all done right.”

Some of Kelly’s colleagues offered a more innocuous explanation for Kelly’s missteps; one senior White House official suggested he may simply have been “forgetful or inartful,” rather than deliberately mendacious.

On Tuesday, Sanders parried a number of sharp questions from reporters, offering only vague responses. She said at one point that her answers could only be as fulsome as the information she had been provided by her superiors — remarks widely interpreted as an attempt to distance herself from Kelly.

“Obviously the press team’s not going to be as read-in, maybe, as some other elements at a given moment on a variety of topics,” Sanders said. “But we relay the best and most accurate information that we have, and we get those from those individuals.”

Inside the building, officials privately griped that Kelly and McGahn could have better managed the crisis by admitting mistakes, promising to overhaul the security clearance process and protecting the president.

Instead, these people said, Kelly seemed to shirk blame, grumbling to at least one confidant that the communications office should be held partly responsible. In internal conversations, Kelly sounded defensive and complained that the media was overhyping the story, according to a senior White House official who spoke with him.

But not all of Kelly’s team shared his view. During Wray’s testimony, another White House aide texted a Washington Post reporter, describing the moment as “a killer.”

When asked if Kelly could have been more transparent or truthful, that official wrote, “In this White House, it’s simply not in our DNA. Truthful and transparent is great, but we don’t even have a coherent strategy to obfuscate.”

Several White House aides described themselves as initially caught off guard by the allegations against Porter, a Rhodes Scholar with two degrees from Harvard who had established himself as a professional and competent force inside the West Wing.

But as photos emerged showing his first ex-wife with a black eye — and as they listened to his explanation that some found implausible — some officials said they became convinced that the two women were telling the truth.

FBI had photos showing Porter’s alleged abuse in early 2017: report .
<p>The FBI had photos showing former White House staff secretary Rob Porter's alleged domestic abuse toward his ex-wife in early 2017, CNN reports, raising questions about what information senior aides such as counsel Don McGahn had access to regarding Porter.</p>The bureau obtained the photos of Porter's first wife Colbie Holderness with a black eye just seven days after President Trump's inauguration, according to CNN. Holderness provided the photos as part of Porter's background check to obtain a security clearance.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!