US General leaves National Security Council after leak of 5G telecom memo: report

11:25  04 february  2018
11:25  04 february  2018 Source:   FOX News

DOJ tells Nunes releasing memo would be "extraordinarily reckless"

  DOJ tells Nunes releasing memo would be CBS News has obtained the letter Assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd wrote to Capitol HillRepublicans have been urging for the release of the memo, which, as Boyd pointed out, likely contains highly classified information. In the letter, obtained by CBS News, Boyd highlights how crucial it is that the committee not release the memo to the public for reasons of national security. The memo describes the FBI's supposed abuses of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA).

A U.S. Air Force brigadier general has returned to the military branch after service with the National Security Council following the leak of a memo that advocated for a government takeover of development of the nation ’s 5 G mobile telecom network, according to a report .

Axios received a leaked memo from a US National Security Council official about the threat of 5 G and China for US national security . Belt and Road seems to be far more influential than the (US) media in general reports .

a man wearing a suit and tie: Air Force Brig. Gen. Robert Spalding.© Provided by Fox News Air Force Brig. Gen. Robert Spalding.

A U.S. Air Force brigadier general has returned to the military branch after service with the National Security Council following the leak of a memo that advocated for a government takeover of development of the nation’s 5G mobile telecom network, according to a report.

Loading...

Load Error

Air Force Brig. Gen. Robert Spalding was the author of the memo, which became the focus of a story by news organization Axios that irked the telecom industry and irritated the White House, the Washington Post reported Saturday.

Spalding’s last day with the NSC was Jan. 31, the Post reported, citing information from a senior Trump administration official. The report said Spalding was not implicated in the leak, but officials decided his backing of the potential government takeover of the 5G network exceeded his NSC role.

Investigators ask to delay Flynn sentencing

  Investigators ask to delay Flynn sentencing <p>Special counsel Robert Mueller and attorneys for Michael Flynn say they're not ready for the former national security adviser to be sentenced because of the current status of the investigation.</p>The attorneys disclosed the information in a filing in federal court in Washington. Flynn has been cooperating with Mueller's investigators since December, when he pleaded guilty to a felony charge of making false statements.

This Account has been suspended.

The Air Force general behind the plan to nationalize broadband lost his job after it became public. The author of a memo arguing for a government takeover of development of the nation ’s 5 G mobile network has been removed from the National Security Council staff.

The brigadier general was told he would be leaving the NSC before his memo and PowerPoint proposal were leaked, the report said.

In recent weeks, senior officials became concerned that Spalding had pushed too hard for the takeover the idea, the report added.

Last week the Wall Street Journal reported that some White House officials viewed next-generation 5G wireless service as a “key area of competition,” and saw a potential threat from China as justification for a “moonshot” government effort behind the network’s development.

But after the Axios story appeared, Federal Communications Comission chairman Ajit Pai told the New York Times that he opposed the idea of a government-built 5G network, and industry group USTelecom said government involvement would likely slow the technology's development.

There were no plans to replace Spalding at NSC, the Post reported. Spalding declined the newspaper’s request for comment.

Apple ordered GitHub to remove iOS source code leak .
A portion of iOS’s source code was leaked online yesterday and quickly removed after Apple filed a takedown notice with GitHub, where the code was posted.&nbsp;The leak could allow hackers to discover iOS vulnerabilities more easily and make creating iPhone jailbreaks simpler, even in the face of Apple’s tightened security measures. Although the code has now been taken down, there are still backups of it circulating on the web, as mentioned by a post on r/jailbreak. Jonathan Levin, who writes books about iOS and macOS system programming, told Motherboardthat considering how careful Apple is to safeguard against leaks, he believes “this is the biggest leak in [its] history.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!