The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later

US Mom urges caution after child chokes on fidget spinners

18:20  18 may  2017
18:20  18 may  2017 Source:   usatoday.com

Former teacher accused of locking 5-year-old autistic boy in closet

  Former teacher accused of locking 5-year-old autistic boy in closet Police say the special education teacher, Donna Hughes, locked the boy in the closet with no lights for 30 minutes as a form of punishment , causing the child to become "visibly scared and upset." Warrants also say that Hughes dragged the child across the room on his knees, injuring him.Warrants for the teacher's arrest were issued after the incident, on charges of unlawful neglect of a child and assault and battery. But Hughes wasn't arrested until December 2016, Greer Police tell Crimesider. It wasn't clear why.Hughes was suspended from teaching at the school after the incident.

A Texas mom is warning parents about the dangers of fidget spinners after her daughter swallowed a part of the popular toy and had emergency surgery. "The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8-years-old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard."

Us Mom Urges Caution After Child Chokes On Fidget Spinners . Mom urges caution after child chokes on fidget spinners Mom cautions parents after child swallows part of fidget spinner Another fidget spinner .

In this Thursday, May 11, 2017, photo, Funky Monkey Toys store owner Tom Jones plays with a fidget spinner in Oxford, Mich. The mania for fidget spinners, the 3-inch twirling gadgets taking over classrooms and cubicles, is unlike many other toy crazes. They're not made by a major company, timed for the holiday season, or promoted in TV commercials.© Carlos Osorio, AP In this Thursday, May 11, 2017, photo, Funky Monkey Toys store owner Tom Jones plays with a fidget spinner in Oxford, Mich. The mania for fidget spinners, the 3-inch twirling gadgets taking over classrooms and cubicles, is unlike many other toy crazes. They're not made by a major company, timed for the holiday season, or promoted in TV commercials.

A Texas mom is warning parents about the dangers of fidget spinners after her daughter swallowed a part of the popular toy and had emergency surgery.

Loading...

Load Error

If you have kids in elementary and middle school you likely already know about fidget spinners. The newest "it" toy is a small gadget with two or three prongs with circles in them, along with a circular pad in the middle to hold the device with a finger and thumb. Then, kids twirl it.

Cromartie’s wife announces she’s pregnant with his 14th child

  Cromartie’s wife announces she’s pregnant with his 14th child The legend of Antonio Cromartie continues to swell. As does his wife’s belly. 

She hopes to caution parents of younger children that these popular toys can pose a potential choking hazard. A Texas mother is warning others about the potential dangers of fidget spinners , the toy craze currently sweeping the nation, after her daughter almost choked on one of its parts.

A Mom Has an Important Warning About Fidget Spinners After Her Daughter Choked on One. After the doctors at a nearby urgent care couldn’t determine where the fidget spinner piece had lodged itself, Britton was taken via ambulance to Texas Children ’s Hospital.

Kelly Rose Joniec posted on Facebook Monday cautioning parents about the popular toy, which she says does not have age appropriate warnings. Joniec said she was driving her daughter home from a swim meet, when she heard her making a retching sound in the back seat.

"Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth," Joniec said. "She could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over."

Joniec said her daughter was able to tell her she'd put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and accidentally swallowed it.

Joniec said she drove to an urgent care facility where doctors were unable to figure out where the spinner piece, which is about the size of a quarter, was located. The pair were transported by ambulance to Texas Children's Hospital where an X-ray showed the spinner lodged in Joniec's daughter's esophagus.

"After multiple, very stressful attempts to place an IV, Britton was taken to surgery to endoscopically locate and remove the object," Joniec said in the post. "Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while."

Joniec said in the post, which was shared almost 700,000 times, that parents should be cautious of the toys.

"Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed," she said. "The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8-years-old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard."

More coverage:

Follow Mary Bowerman on Twitter: @MaryBowerman.

Blaney passes Harvick late for Xfinity win .
Ryan Blaney takes the lead for good on a restart with three laps to go at Charlotte.That gave Blaney his fifth career series victory.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!