US 'Racist Anthem' spray painted on 106-year-old Francis Scott Key statue in Baltimore

20:16  13 september  2017
20:16  13 september  2017 Source:

Ray Lewis: Baltimore Ravens Didn’t Sign Colin Kaepernick Due to Girlfriend’s “Racist” Tweet

  Ray Lewis: Baltimore Ravens Didn’t Sign Colin Kaepernick Due to Girlfriend’s “Racist” Tweet A bit of news.

Via Baltimore Sun: Mayor Catherine Pugh said she has no plans to remove the Francis Scott Key monument in Bolton Hill that was vandalized before Exactly 203 years after the Maryland attorney wrote the poem that would later become the national anthem , the city awoke to find the words “ Racist

A 106 - year - old statue of Francis Scott Key , who famously wrote “The Star-Spangled Banner,” was found vandalized Wednesday morning in Baltimore . According to the Baltimore Sun, someone spray - painted the words “ racist anthem ” on the monument in Bolton Hill

A statue to Francis Scott Key, the writer of the Star Spangled Banner, was defaced overnight in downtown Baltimore, with someone painting "Racist Anthem" on the side of the Bolton Hill monument.

Baltimore Police received a report of the vandalism at 6:30 a.m. Wednesday. They are investigating, but have no suspects.

The monument - primarily concrete, but with gold in the base and a gold figure atop - had been tagged with black lettering, but also with what appeared to be splashes of red and black paint.

The vandalism comes weeks after a monument to Christopher Columbus was damaged in northeast Baltimore.

That incident occurred a week after the city removed four monuments honoring Confederate-era figures.

Key, an attorney, was being held captive aboard a British ship off Fort McHenry during the War of 1812, when he penned "The Star Spangled Banner," which would go on to become the national anthem.

The monument at Eutaw Place was dedicated in 1911.

This story will be updated.

Baltimore Sun reporter Tim Prudente contributed to this story.

Robert E. Lee statue taken down in Dallas .
A statue of Robert E. Lee was removed from a Dallas park Thursday after a series of delays that included a brief court stay obtained by a pro-Confederacy group and a fatal accident involving a crane assigned to remove the statue. Fox 4 News reported that workers took nearly three hours to remove the statue from its pedestal and place it on a trailer that would take it to a storage facility until a final decision is made on the statue's fate.City officials said in a statement that an art conservator monitored the proper handling of the statue, and police tactical officers with automatic rifles provided security.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!