US 15 Marines injured in training accident at Camp Pendleton

23:54  13 september  2017
23:54  13 september  2017 Source:   Los Angeles Times

U.S. to send 3,500 additional troops to Afghanistan

  U.S. to send 3,500 additional troops to Afghanistan <p>The United States will send about 3,500 additional U.S. troops to Afghanistan, U.S. officials said on Wednesday.</p>The disclosure by the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, comes as Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Marine General Joseph Dunford hold closed door briefings with members of Congress about President Donald Trump's regional strategy.

A total of 15 US Marines were injured Wednesday during a training exercise that involved an amphibious landing vehicle at the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton , according to the Marine Corps.

An accident at Camp Pendleton in California has left 15 US Marines injured . The land-based accident involved an amphibious vehicle. The accident at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton , located north of San Diego, happened at approximately 9:33 am on Wednesday

FILE - Camp Pendleton Marine Base, Calif. Lenny Ignelzi/AP © Lenny Ignelzi/AP FILE - Camp Pendleton Marine Base, Calif. Lenny Ignelzi/AP

Fifteen Marines were injured Wednesday during a training exercise involving an amphibious landing vehicle at Camp Pendleton, according to the Marine Corps.

The injured, from the 1st Marine Division, were participating in a battalion training operation about 9:33 a.m. when the accident occurred, the Marine Corps said.

The extent of their injuries was not immediately known, but Marine officials said in a statement that they were receiving medical treatment.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Marines and their families as they receive medical care," the statement said.

The accident is under investigation, officials said..

veronica.rocha@latimes.com

Twitter: VeronicaRochaLA

More Navy officers fired for collisions at sea that killed 17 US sailors .
Two senior Navy officers were fired Monday due to a "loss of confidence in their ability to command" after two collisions with civilian ships in the western Pacific killed 17 sailors at sea, the Pentagon said. Rear Adm. Charles Williams, commander of the warships on patrol in the Asia-Pacific region, and Capt. Jeffrey Bennett, commander of guided missile destroyers in the region, were the latest leaders removed since the Navy launched an investigation last month into the deadly accidents. Defense Secretary James N.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!