World Trump Administration: We Can Keep Guantanamo Prisoners Locked Up For 100 Years

04:05  12 july  2018
04:05  12 july  2018 Source:   huffingtonpost.com

2 of 3 Ark. prisoners back in custody following jail escape

  2 of 3 Ark. prisoners back in custody following jail escape An Arkansas sheriff says two prisoners are back in custody after they escaped along with a third inmate from a county jail. Sharp County Sheriff Mark Counts told KAIT-TV that Christopher John Frey of Horseshoe Bend and Robert Lynn Pollard of Evening Shade were back in custody Wednesday night after escaping earlier in the day.They were discovered missing along with Randall Paul Sledge of Conway during a morning check.Authorities haven't disclosed how they were able to slip away.Counts says Sledge may be heading to Missouri. Sharp County is in northern Arkansas and part of it borders that state.

Donald Trump signed an executive order to keep the prison camp open indefinitely. I was ordered to construct the first 100 cells at Guantánamo within 96 hours. The first group of 20 prisoners arrived ^ Perry, Tony, "Marine Officer Who Set Up Guantanamo Prison Dismayed By What It Has Become"

Donald Trump did not announce he was about to order the transfer of new prisoners to Guantánamo Bay. Photograph: Brennan Linsley/AP. Donald Trump has signed an executive order to keep the Guantánamo Bay prison camp open, reversing the policy of the Obama administration .

Buildings stand empty and overgrown at the Guantanamo Bay camp now that the prisoner population is down to 40.© Joe Skipper/Reuters Buildings stand empty and overgrown at the Guantanamo Bay camp now that the prisoner population is down to 40.

WASHINGTON — The U.S. has the authority to keep prisoners locked up at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp for a century without charging them with a crime, as long as the U.S. keeps fighting terrorist groups like the Taliban, al Qaeda or its affiliates, the Trump administration argued in federal court on Wednesday.

According to the administration, it is impossible to put a time limit on how long the men at Guantanamo will remain imprisoned— some of them have already been held for more than 16 years without charge — because it’s impossible to know how long the fight against various terrorist groups will continue.

Twitter follower counts drop after a change in how they are counted

  Twitter follower counts drop after a change in how they are counted <p>Twitter will stop including accounts that have been locked for bad behavior in publicly posted follower counts, the company said today.</p>Most people will lose four followers or fewer because of the change, Twitter said. But large accounts could lose hundreds of thousands of accounts. President Donald Trump’s account lost 100,000 followers immediately after Twitter made the change, a Washington Post reporter found, and former President Barack Obama lost 400,000.

According to McClatchy, the prisoner was picked up by a Saudi government plane on Tuesday night and In January, Trump signed an executive order that instructed the Pentagon to keep the prison camp So far, no new detainees have arrived at Guantánamo . But the Trump administration has

The fate of the remaining prisoners , and of the controversial facility itself, has been the subject of discussion among Trump administration officials for months. While Trump himself has suggested he would like to lock new detainees up at Guantanamo

Senior U.S. District Judge Thomas Hogan asked what the government would do if the conflict lasted 100 years. Justice Department lawyer Ronald Wiltsie responded, “Yes, we could hold them for 100 years.”

The court hearing in Washington was part of a joint habeas effort by 11 Guantanamo prisoners to argue that their perpetual detention is arbitrary and unlawful, based on President Donald Trump’s past statements and his government’s dismantling of the office that was put in place to transfer detainees out of the prison. (Hogan is overseeing the proceedings for eight of the 11 men.) Unless the court orders their release, the petitioners argue, they are likely to be stranded at Guantanamo for at least the duration of Trump’s presidency. For some of the older detainees, that could be the rest of their lives.

Tanzania orders harsher prison conditions

  Tanzania orders harsher prison conditions President Magufuli says prisoners should work long hours and be punished if they are lazy.  John Magufuli was speaking at the inauguration of a new prisons chief. Rights groups have accused him of growing intolerance. Mr Magufuli has lost his initial huge popularity by clamping down on the media, targeting opposition politicians and calling for pregnant schoolgirls to be banned from school.More about TanzaniaHe said inmates should grow their own food in prison fields. "It is a shame for the country to continue to feed prisoners. All the prisons have fields, inmates must cultivate them," he said.

The rest have been held as enemy combatants, but without charge, for up to 16 years . The remaining Guantánamo prisoners appear fated to stay locked up not based on an individual assessment of their cases — there will be none of those under Mr. Trump — but because they serve

President Donald Trump has signed an executive order to keep open the controversial Guantanamo Bay prison . The prison is used to detain accused terrorists and enemy combatants. Critics have sought closure of the prison for years .

Under the international law of war, it is legal to imprison enemy combatants without charge as a way of keeping them off the battlefield without killing them. But the presumption is that they will be released after the war ends.

The current fight against terrorist groups is “totally disconnected” from the nature of the conflict after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks ― when the men at Guantanamo were taken into custody ― Center for Constitutional Rights legal director Baher Azmy argued on Wednesday. And releasing the Guantanamo detainees wouldn’t really risk replenishing enemy forces. There are only 40 prisoners left and they can only be released to countries that are relatively stable and whose governments agree to monitor them closely.

Weeks before Trump took office, he tweeted that no one should be let out of Guantanamo. But his administration, likely following the advice of its lawyers, has been careful not to explicitly embrace a policy of indefinite detention. Trump’s executive order on Guantanamo reversed his predecessor’s order to close the prison while keeping in place the periodic review boards ― parole-style hearings that can, theoretically, result in a detainee’s release.

Trump officials cut funding for ObamaCare outreach groups

  Trump officials cut funding for ObamaCare outreach groups Democrats say the move is another example of sabotage of the law.The funding will be cut from $36 million last year to $10 million this year, the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) said in a statement. The administration already cut the funding last year to well below the $63 million under President Obama.

The Obama administration signed an order in 2009 to close the site within a year , but faced eight years of tight The reversal has been a long-standing policy for Mr Trump , who campaigned on keeping Guantanamo open, saying in 2016 he wanted to "load it up with some bad dudes".

During his campaign, Trump had promised to keep the facility open and to "load it up with some bad dudes." No new prisoners have come to Guantanamo in more than a decade. When Obama left office, eight years after signing the closing order, there were still 41 inmates.

In practice, however, it has become the Trump administration’s “de facto policy” to transfer no one out of Guantanamo, Judge Hogan noted on Wednesday.

Nobody has been cleared for release by a periodic review board under the Trump administration. The government has likewise made no effort to transfer the five men who were already cleared before Trump became president, Wiltsie acknowledged on Wednesday.

Two of the cleared detainees, Moroccan Abdul Latif Nasser and Saudi Tofiq Nasser Awad al-Bihani, are part of the joint habeas effort. “They are in a no man’s land,” Hogan said, referring to the fact that they are no longer subject to any type of review process but are also not being freed.

Wiltsie said he could not say whether Nasser or al-Bihani would ever be transferred out of the prison.

The only detainee who has left Guantanamo under Trump is Ahmed al-Darbi, a Saudi citizen who was released into Saudi custody as part of a legally binding plea deal negotiated years ago in exchange for pleading guilty to war crimes.

“What do we tell our clients?” asked Azmy, who argued on behalf of the detainees on Wednesday. “Confess to war crimes?”

Alabama Moves to Limit Sheriffs From Pocketing Jail Food Money

  Alabama Moves to Limit Sheriffs From Pocketing Jail Food Money Gov. Kay Ivey ordered officials to rein in a decades-old practice of paying sheriffs personally to feed prisoners and then allowing the sheriffs to keep unspent funds for themselves.Alabama’s governor has begun to cut off a gravy train for the state’s sheriffs: the unspent money for prisoners’ meals that the sheriffs have long been allowed to keep for themselves.

Donald Trump signs executive order to keep Guantánamo Bay open. Donald Trump supports keeping the prison open and has said he would like to “load it up ” with detainees. The total number of detainees incarcerated at Guantánamo in its 16 years of existence is 780. 25. 50. 100 . All. Threads.

“Nobody wins when former prisoners fail to adjust to life outside or worse, end up back behind bars,” Trump said. Guantánamo prisoner released in surprise move by Trump administration . He noted that for years the two reform issues – sentencing and prison – have been bound together and

The detainees who are part of the habeas motion had asked permission to listen to a live audio transmission of the hearing from Guantanamo. The military denied the request, claiming it would “adversely impact security.” Instead, the eight men whose cases were being considered on Wednesday are supposed to receive an audio playback or transcripts of the oral arguments.

“The government says my detention is legal because of the indefinite war against terrorism. When terrorism ends, the war will end. So, never,” Sharqawi al-Hajj, a 43-year-old Yemeni who joined the motion, said in a statement. Al-Hajj has been on a hunger strike to protest his imprisonment.

“I feel like I am dead but still breathing,” al-Hajj continued. “Show me how I can convince you that I don’t pose a threat to anybody. Just show me the way and I will follow it.”

This article originally appeared on HuffPost.

Ex-Trump aide pushes for Hope Hicks as chief of staff: Trump will 'listen to women more than men’ .
President Trump's former campaign aide said ex-White House Communications Director Hope Hicks would be the perfect choice for chief of staff because Trump will "listen to women more than men."Sam Nunberg appeared on MSNBC on Sunday and suggested that Hicks might be returning to the White House if current chief of staff John Kelly leaves this summer, Mediaite reported.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!