World US, Afghan forces killed 33 civilians in self-defence: NATO

11:51  12 january  2017
11:51  12 january  2017 Source:   AFP

300 Marines to Aid Fight Against Taliban in Spring

  300 Marines to Aid Fight Against Taliban in Spring The Marines will train and advise the Afghan military and the national police in Helmand Province, replacing an Army unit stationed there. KABUL, Afghanistan — Approximately 300 United States Marines will return this spring to help fight a resurgent Taliban in the southern Afghan province of Helmand, the site of a yearslong bloody campaign, American officials in Afghanistan said on Saturday.An American military spokesman in Kabul said the Marines would replace an Army unit stationed in Helmand, and would offer training and advice to members of the Afghan military and the national police.

KABUL: NATO confirmed Thursday that US forces in Afghanistan killed 33 Afghan citizens " in self - defence " in Kunduz last year in a single incident highlighting civilian casualties, one of the most contentious issues of the 15-year campaign.

NATO confirmed Thursday that US forces in Afghanistan killed 33 Afghan citizens “ in self - defense ” in Kunduz last year in a single “To defend themselves and Afghan forces , US forces returned fire in self - defence at Taliban who were using civilian houses as firing positions,” the statement added.

Errant air strikes contributed to a 42 percent jump last year in casualties caused by pro-government forces compared to last year, according to the UN © Provided by AFP Errant air strikes contributed to a 42 percent jump last year in casualties caused by pro-government forces compared to last year, according to the UN

NATO confirmed Thursday that US forces in Afghanistan killed 33 Afghan citizens "in self-defence" in Kunduz last year in a single incident highlighting civilian casualties, one of the most contentious issues of the 15-year campaign.

The incident on November 3 saw US and Afghan troops call for air reinforcement as they engaged with Taliban forces hiding in civilian houses in a village in the volatile northern province.

Civilian men, women and children were "likely inside the buildings from which the Taliban were firing", the report said. Two US forces and three Afghan commandos also died in the firing.

Dozens killed or wounded in Kabul attack - Afghan officials

  Dozens killed or wounded in Kabul attack - Afghan officials The Afghan Taliban claimed responsibility for twin blasts near parliament offices in Kabul on Tuesday which they said had killed or wounded scores of people. The attack targeted a minibus carrying staff from the NDS, Afghanistan's main intelligence agency, and as many as 70 people were killed or wounded, the insurgents said.There was no immediate confirmation of casualty numbers from the police.The attack, which ended a period of relative calm in the Afghan capital, occurred in a crowded area during the afternoon rush hour as workers were returning home.

KABUL - NATO confirmed Thursday that US forces in Afghanistan killed 33 Afghan citizens " in self - defence " in Kunduz last year in a single incident highlighting civilian casualties, one of the most contentious issues of the 15-year campaign.

NATO confirmed Thursday that US forces in Afghanistan killed 33 Afghan citizens " in self - defence " in Kunduz last year in a single incident highlighting civilian casualties, one of the most contentious issues of the 15-year campaign.

The civilian deaths sparked outrage at the time, with victims' relatives parading the mutilated bodies of dead children piled into open trucks through the streets of Kunduz city.

"The investigation determined, regretfully, that 33 civilians were killed and 27 others wounded," NATO's Afghan mission Resolute Support said in a statement.

"To defend themselves and Afghan forces, US forces returned fire in self-defence at Taliban who were using civilian houses as firing positions," the statement added.

"Regardless of the circumstances, I deeply regret the loss of innocent lives," said General John Nicholson, commander of US forces – Afghanistan.

The United Nations has also launched an investigation, calling any loss of civilian life "unacceptable", with its findings due to be released by the end of this month.

The carnage underscored worsening insecurity after the Taliban in October 2016 overran Kunduz city for the second time in a year, as NATO-backed Afghan forces struggle to rein in the insurgents.

Civilian casualties caused by NATO forces have been one of the most divisive issues in the 15-year battle against the insurgents, prompting strong public and government criticism.

Errant air strikes contributed to a 42 percent jump last year in casualties caused by pro-government forces compared to last year, according to the UN.

Slovenia, birthplace of Melania Trump, to boost NATO defense .
LJUBLJANA, Slovenia — Slovenia, the birthplace of America's next first lady, plans to deploy troops to Latvia, joining NATO efforts to defend the Baltics against a possible Russian threat.The Slovenian government said Thursday it will contribute up to 50 soldiers to a NATO battalion.The government says that NATO's enhanced forward presence in eastern Europe is "a responsible and proportionate measure" aimed at promoting peace.It says the decision to build up NATO's presence in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland was made at a 2016 summit in Warsaw.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!