World In Syria, population transfers stalled over violence resume

16:00  21 april  2017
16:00  21 april  2017 Source:   Associated Press

Blast Kills More Than 100 in Syria Population Transfer

  Blast Kills More Than 100 in Syria Population Transfer Footage from the scene showed bodies, including those of fighters, lying alongside buses, some of which were charred and others gutted from the blast. Personal belongings could be seen dangling out of the windows. Fires raged from a number of vehicles as rescuers struggled to put them out.The scenes were the latest in the unyielding bloodshed in Syria. Earlier this month, at least 89 people were killed in a chemical attack as children foaming at the mouth and adults gasping for last breath were also caught on camera.

A Syrian state TV says the troubled population transfers involving thousands of Syrians have resumed after stalling for days following a massive explosion that killed dozens. The deal between the government and rebels envisions the transfer of 30,000 people over 60 days.

BEIRUT (AP) — A Syrian state TV says the troubled population transfers involving thousands of Syrians have resumed after stalling for days following a massive explosion that killed dozens. The deal between the government and rebels envisions the transfer of 30,000 people over 60 days.

This frame grab from video provided by the government-controlled Syrian Central Military Media, shows buses carrying opposition fighters leaving Zabadani, near Damascus, Syria, Wednesday, April. 19, 2017, heading toward the northern rebel-held Idlib province. Syria's military media says the evacuation and transfer of thousands of Syrians from four besieged areas has resumed. Logo in Arabic reads, © The Associated Press This frame grab from video provided by the government-controlled Syrian Central Military Media, shows buses carrying opposition fighters leaving Zabadani, near Damascus, Syria, Wednesday, April. 19, 2017, heading toward the northern rebel-held Idlib province. Syria's military media says the evacuation and transfer of thousands of Syrians from four besieged areas has resumed. Logo in Arabic reads, "Millitary Media." (Syrian Central Military Media, via AP)

BEIRUT — Thousands of Syrians trapped at an exchange point arrived at a temporary shelter in government-controlled Aleppo city on Friday, as one of the largest population transfers in Syria's civil war resumed following a number of snags, including a deadly explosion.

Blast Kills More Than 100 in Syria Population Transfer

  Blast Kills More Than 100 in Syria Population Transfer Footage from the scene showed bodies, including those of fighters, lying alongside buses, some of which were charred and others gutted from the blast. Personal belongings could be seen dangling out of the windows. Fires raged from a number of vehicles as rescuers struggled to put them out.The scenes were the latest in the unyielding bloodshed in Syria. Earlier this month, at least 89 people were killed in a chemical attack as children foaming at the mouth and adults gasping for last breath were also caught on camera.

BEIRUT (AP) — Thousands of Syrians trapped at an exchange point arrived at a temporary shelter in government-controlled Aleppo city on Friday, as one of the largest population transfers in Syria 's civil war resumed following a number of snags, including a deadly explosion.

21, 2017 5:07 AM ET. BEIRUT (AP) — A Syrian state TV says the troubled population transfers involving thousands of Syrians have resumed after stalling for days following Syria 's military media says the evacuation and transfer of thousands of Syrians from four besieged areas has resumed .

Syrian state TV al-Ikhbariya broadcast the arrival of several buses carrying hundreds of residents from the pro-government villages of Foua and Kfarya — besieged for two years amid Syria's bloody civil war by anti-government rebels — to Jibreen, an Aleppo suburb.

In Jibreen, a temporary shelter was set up by the government for them.

Relatives rushed to the buses to receive their loved ones, who had been stranded at an exchange point since Wednesday. Others frantically searched for missing relatives.

The buses that arrived in Aleppo on Friday were the second batch of evacuees since the operation began last week. The massive bombing struck evacuees who had waited for over 30 hours to be transferred to Jibreen on Saturday, killing at least 130 people, most of them children and government supporters.

Mass evacuation in Syria to proceed after deadly blast

  Mass evacuation in Syria to proceed after deadly blast More than 3,000 Syrians are expected to be evacuated Sunday from four areas as part of a population transfer that was briefly stalled the day before by a deadly blast that killed scores of people, most of them government supporters. The United Nations is not overseeing the transfer deal, which involves residents of the pro-government villages of Foua and Kfarya and the opposition-held towns of Madaya and Zabadani. All four have been under siege for years, their fate linked through a series of reciprocal agreements that the U.N. says have hindered aid deliveries.

BEIRUT (AP) — A Syrian state TV says the troubled population transfers involving thousands of Syrians have resumed after stalling for days following a massive explosion that killed dozens. The deal between the government and rebels envisions the transfer of 30,000 people over 60 days.

BEIRUT – A Syrian state TV says the troubled population transfers involving thousands of Syrians have resumed after stalling for days following a massive explosion that killed dozens. The deal between the government and rebels envisions the transfer of 30,000 people over 60 days.

"Whoever knows anything about my kids, please let me know," a mother wept on al-Ikhbariya as she pleaded for information for her three kids missing since the explosion last week.

Lebanese Al-Manar TV, affiliated with Syrian government ally Hezbollah, said at least 12 bodies of those killed in the Saturday explosion were among those arriving in Aleppo.

No one claimed responsibility for the bloody explosion, which also underscored the complications besetting the transfer deal, one of Syria's largest and the first to involve a reciprocal population swap. Under the deal, an estimated 30,000 people will be transferred from their hometowns over 60 days, most of them from the pro-government villages in northern Idlib.

At least 750 detainees from government jails are also to be released as part of the deal. Mohammed Abo Zayed, a spokesman for Ahrar al-Sham, a main rebel group negotiating the deal, said the names of those to be released are currently being worked out.

US-led coalition Syria strikes kill 20 civilians: monitor

  US-led coalition Syria strikes kill 20 civilians: monitor Air strikes by the US-led coalition fighting the Islamic State group killed 20 civilians in Syria's eastern Deir Ezzor province, a monitor said on Tuesday. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the deaths came in two separate incidents on Monday.The Britain-based monitor said 13 civilians, among them five children, were killed in a strike on Monday night on the town of Albu Kamal, near the Syria-Iraq border.The strike also killed three members of IS, which controls the town, the monitor said.

BEIRUT (AP) — A Syrian state TV says the troubled population transfers involving thousands of Syrians have resumed after stalling for days following a massive explosion that killed dozens. The deal between the government and rebels envisions the transfer of 30,000 people over 60 days.

BEIRUT (AP) - A Syrian state TV says the troubled population transfers involving thousands of Syrians have resumed after stalling for days following a massive explosion that killed dozens. The deal between the government and rebels envisions the transfer of 30,000 people over 60 days.

The Syrian military media arm said 36 buses carrying residents of Foua and Kfarya arrived in Jibreen on Friday. Nine other buses remain at the exchange point, apparently as details of the detainees to be released are worked out.

Some 15 buses were carrying residents and rebels from the Zabadani area, which was besieged by the government, departed for Idlib. Another three buses are also still held back. Amer Burhan, an evacuee from the pro-opposition town, said their buses began moving toward rebel-held Idlib province.

Rights groups have decried the agreement, negotiated by Iran and Qatar, as a forcible transfer that is altering the country's demographics along political and sectarian lines.

In the last year alone, thousands of rebels, their families and supporters were forced to surrender in capitulation deals under intense government bombings and tight sieges in a number of towns and areas around the capital Damascus, as well as in Aleppo and Homs. Most of those have been transferred to rebel-held Idlib.

Strikes destroy seven hospitals in Syria's Idlib: medics .
Seven hospitals and clinics in northwestern Syria have been knocked out of action this month in air strikes by the regime or its ally Russia, medical sources said on Sunday. "In April, hospitals in the south of the province of Idlib were systematically targeted," Abdel Hamid Dabbak, who is in charge of hospitals in the rebel-controlled province, told a news conference.He named seven hospitals which he said were put out of service by air raids, including a gynaecological clinic.Dabbak said work to reopen the health centres was under way, "but warplanes are still overhead and bombardments continue".

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!