The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later

World US: 2 more Americans were affected by Cuba health attacks

00:51  13 september  2017
00:51  13 september  2017 Source:   ap.org

Cuba airlifts dolphins to safety as Hurricane Irma slams the island

  Cuba airlifts dolphins to safety as Hurricane Irma slams the island As Hurricane Irma continues its devastating run in the Atlantic, Cuba has evacuated dolphins held in a dolphinarium in north of the country where Irma made landfall Friday night. The six dolphins were wrapped in wet towels to ensure healthy travel and put on helicopters that took the dolphins to the province of Cienfuegos, the Mirror reported.As of Friday, they were put in a swimming pool -- but they could be moved again if the hurricane's effects make that necessary, officials said.Dolphinarum manager Gonzalo Carrero Escobar said the pool offered the dolphins “similar conditions to their natural life.

Cuba and the US officially restored diplomatic relations July 20. AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa, File. WASHINGTON (AP) — Two more Americans have been confirmed to be affected by unexplained health attacks against U . S . diplomats in Cuba , the United States said Tuesday

Two more American diplomats who served in Cuba are affected by health attacks in Cuba , raising the total to 21.

In this photo taken Aug. 14, 2015, a U.S. flag flies at the U.S. embassy in Havana, Cuba. Two more American diplomats who served in Cuba are affected by health attacks in Cuba, raising the total to 21. (AP Photo/Desmond Boylan)© The Associated Press In this photo taken Aug. 14, 2015, a U.S. flag flies at the U.S. embassy in Havana, Cuba. Two more American diplomats who served in Cuba are affected by health attacks in Cuba, raising the total to 21. (AP Photo/Desmond Boylan)

WASHINGTON — Two more Americans have been confirmed to be affected by unexplained health attacks against U.S. diplomats in Cuba, the United States said Tuesday, raising the total number of victims to 21.

The additional two individuals appear to be cases that were only recently reported but occurred in the past. The State Department said no new, medically confirmed "incidents" have taken place since the most recent one in late August. Earlier this month, the U.S. disclosed there had been another incident in August after previously saying the attacks had stopped.

To reassure Cubans, a revered meteorologist returns to the airwaves

  To reassure Cubans, a revered meteorologist returns to the airwaves As Hurricane Irma churned toward Cuba last weekend, residents on the island switched on their televisions and radios, hoping to hear a familiar, reassuring voice. No, it wasn't the words of Fidel Castro they awaited — it was theNo, it wasn't the words of Fidel Castro they awaited — it was the forecast of esteemed Cuban meteorologist José Rubiera.

Two more Americans have been confirmed to be affected by unexplained health attacks against U . S . diplomats in Cuba , raising the number of victims to 21. Notably, the U . S . has avoided accusing Cuba ’s government of being behind the attacks . The U . S . did expel two Cuban diplomats, but the

Two more Americans have been confirmed to be affected by unexplained health attacks against U . S . diplomats in Cuba , the United States said Tuesday, raising the total number of victims to 21.The additional two individuals appear to be cases that were only recently reported

It's possible the number could grow even higher as more cases are discovered. State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the U.S. continues to assess American personnel.

The U.S. citizens were members of the American diplomatic community, the U.S. said. Officials have said previously that the incidents, deemed "health attacks" by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, affected diplomats posted to the Embassy in Havana along with family members who live with them.

The U.S. didn't say how serious the newly disclosed incidents were. But the State Department said it was providing "the best possible medical evaluation and care" throughout the ordeal, including aid from a medical officer on staff at the embassy.

The union representing American diplomats has said mild traumatic brain injury is among the diagnoses given to some diplomats victimized in the attacks. The American Foreign Service Association has said permanent hearing loss was another diagnosis, and additional symptoms had included brain swelling, severe headaches, loss of balance and "cognitive disruption."

Attacked in bed, safe a few feet away: Cuba mystery deepens

  Attacked in bed, safe a few feet away: Cuba mystery deepens The blaring, grinding noise jolted the American diplomat from his bed in a Havana hotel. He moved just a few feet, and there was silence. He climbed back into bed. Inexplicably, the agonizing sound hit him again. It was as if he'd walked through some invisible wall cutting straight through his room.Soon came the hearing loss, and the speech problems, symptoms both similar and altogether different from others among at least 21 U.S. victims in an astonishing international mystery still unfolding in Cuba. The top U.S. diplomat has called them "health attacks.

Two more Americans have been confirmed to be affected by unexplained health attacks against US diplomats in Cuba , the United States said Tuesday, raising the total number of victims to 21.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Two more Americans have been confirmed to be affected by unexplained health attacks against U . S . diplomats in Cuba , the United States said Tuesday, raising the total number of victims to 21.

The evolving U.S. assessment indicated investigators were still far from any thorough understanding of what transpired in the attacks, which started in the fall of 2016. The U.S. has described them as unprecedented.

As the bizarre saga has unfolded, the U.S. has encouraged its diplomats to report any strange physical sensations. So it's unclear whether some symptoms being attributed to the attacks might actually turn out to be unrelated.

Notably, the U.S. has avoided accusing Cuba's government of being behind the attacks. The U.S. did expel two Cuban diplomats, but the State Department emphasized that was in protest of the Cubans' failure to protect the safety of American diplomats while on their soil, not an indication the U.S. felt that Havana masterminded it.

U.S. investigators have been searching to identify a device that could have harmed the health of the diplomats, believed to have been attacked in their homes in Havana, but officials have said no device had been found.

___

Reach Josh Lederman on Twitter at http://twitter.com/joshledermanAP and Matthew Lee and http://twitter.com/APDiploWriter

As number of injured diplomats soared, State Dept. kept Cuba attacks secret .
Document obtained by CBS News shows State Dept. was aware of extent of attacks on its diplomats in Cuba long before it was forced to acknowledge them . State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert only admitted the attacks were occurring after CBS News Radio first reported them August 9.Watch: Investigation continues into attacks on State Dept. officials in HavanaNauert told reporters at a delayed briefing that day, she had "some recent updates" on the incidents, but instead read nearly word-for-word from parts of the document that was prepared weeks, and likely months, in advance of the briefing.Top U.S.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!